Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Fun Stuff from the Memphis Trip

We just got back from a long weekend 'mini-vacation' to visit our dear friends Mark & Kally in Memphis (more pictures and *hopefully* a video will follow later). We had a GREAT time and went through every state possible in a direct trip there and back: Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and (thanks, Kally, for the 6-mile round trip so that I could say I'd been there) Mississippi.

We visited a few antique shops on the way down, mostly in Indiana and Illinois. Thanks to my friend 'treasure seeker', I've gotten in the habit of taking my camera along and snapping a picture of the shops. I really liked Markle Antique Mall in Markle, Indiana and got a few things there.
I got to put the lessons I learned about 'boopie' glasses and candlewick from 'treasure seeker' to use at this booth.
My favorite Illinois antique mall was Rend Lake Antique Mall outside of Benton, Illinois -- it was great. That's where I got the tumbler and Kitchen Parade cloth below.
The booth in this picture was my favorite one & displayed really well!

Then I got to go to Kally's favorite shop, Sheffield Antique Mall in Collierville & we had a wonderful time (as we always do when we're together). There's no treasure you can buy that's as precious as a true friend!

Here are the treasures I came home with (and I don't think I even spent as much as Jim's one round of golf!)

An orange chenille rug decorated with big, bright pom-poms
A 'Kitchen Parade' small tablecloth or large towel
A vintage dishtowel decorated with vegetables
A wire holder for my swanky swigsA tumbler from a feed store that says
'Egg Atoms' for 'Mountains of Eggs'
(the hen is shown on an egg mountain to prove that it's real)
A barkcloth pillow cover large enough for one of my old metal lawn chairs
When I got home, I went back to Livingston Antiques and got a little yo-yo man that I'd had my eye on and was afraid might be gone. He's really a clown, but since he doesn't have a scary face, I don't have to be afraid of him!

Now, with my new austerity program, I have to get rid of as many things as I brought into the house +1 more. We'll see how THAT goes!

3 comments:

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

You got swanky swigs and didn't tell me?!?!?!

Looks like you got a lot of neat treasures!!!

Love the rug!

Looking forward to our next adventure on Saturday!

crit said...

great finds!

btw, miss lily insisted on sleeping with her yoyo bunny tonight. normally i would have said no, since i don't want anything to happen to it, but she's sick and it made her happy. what can i say, i'm a total softy when it comes to a snarfy nosed little three year old!!

Anne@Kitschy Vintage said...

I like it that she sleeps with her bunny (especially when she's sick) -- what good are toys that can't be played with? I can always make another for her if something happens to that one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails