Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring is FINALLY coming!

I haven't posted in a long time! It's just been so grey and gloomy and nothing has inspired me. Friday, though, I heard a sandhill crane flying over and today I heard a redwinged blackbird down by our pond. It was sunny and in the 50s here today. I know that doesn't seem very warm to those of you who live in Florida, California or Georgia, gentle readers, but it's cause for celebration here. I'm thinking of getting the Beetle out this weekend!

Some interesting sandhill facts: they mate for life (they can live to be 20) and usually only have 2 chicks a year. The males do a really crazy mating dance, jumping into the air and flapping their wings. Here's a picture of a pair of sandhills for your education and enjoyment.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails