Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fun in Traverse City!

Last week, Jim had classes for 3 days in Traverse City and I tagged along. While he spent 8:30-4:30 snoozing his way through interesting seminars such as 'Lease Agreements & Additional Insureds', I was out playing! I had so much fun that I'm going to divide my adventures into 2 posts -- one of all the great antique shops and towns that I visited and one about the places Jim and I visited together in the evenings.

Jim thinks it's funny that I've lived here in Michigan 16 years and have just now fallen in love with the northern part of the lower peninsula (I've loved the UP -- Cedarville & the Les Cheneaux Islands -- since I was little)! I just kept saying over and over, 'Who knew that all this great stuff and beautiful country was up here?', to which he replied, 'Most of the people in Michigan and lots of people from other states!' Now I want to get a cottage up there (like we can afford that)...

We took a small trip up the Old Mission Peninsula and visited the wineries that were open. It's so pretty there -- these photos don't do it justice!

Hop Bines - learn more about them
A mechanical cherry harvester - watch one work!
We had dinner at the restaurant at the top of the Grand Traverse Resort and had a great view of the surrounding area and the Grand Traverse golf courses.
and watched the sunset over the bay...

On our way out of town, we stopped at the Cherry Street Market in Kalkaska and bought lots of homegrown cherries, apricots, plums & corn. Yum Yum!

Home grown produce?

While we were up north, Turner the Crazy Dog was at the kennel. When the dog's away. . .

. . .the cat sleeps in his nest!
Hmm. . .Do you think Leo misses Turner?

Tomorrow...my days exploring!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails