Saturday, August 05, 2006

Auction!

I went to my first auction today and I can't wait to go to another one -- it was so much fun!! I got a $5 box of baby stuff for Christy's business (The Vintage Stork), an old child's tea set in its original box, 2 50s aqua-painted metal lawn chairs and 2 outdoor umbrellas (for $2 -- can you believe it?). The hardest part was remembering which specific box lot I wanted to bid on and then being in the right place at the right time. Since they had 3 auctioneers working at once, choices had to be made. My favorite part was a big barn full of junk -- old wicker, lots of old sleds & garden stuff and old tools. Unfortunately, I'd run out of money by then and I just kept hearing Jim's voice in my head saying, "What are you going to do with that?" or even worse, "You crossed the line with this one!"

Now I see where all the antique dealers get their stuff, though -- I wish I could just go to auctions all the time and start my own business. But since we can't afford the lean times of being an antique dealer, I'll just have to be content with eBay. And, speaking of "crossing the line", does anyone want to buy a 10' by 9' cemetery gate? It's going cheap!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails